Tuesday, April 20, 2021
Lufthansa Cancellation Policy, Fee and Refund
Flying with Lufthansa, Germany’s leading airline and one of the largest carriers in Europe, is a fascinating experience. The Cologne-based airline, which operates out of its main hubs at Frankfurt Airport and Munich Airport, offers flexibility to seamlessly connect to over 19 domestic destinations and 220 international destinations in 78 countries across Europe, Asia, North America, South America, and Africa. The customers can look forward to a comfortable experience in First Class, Business Class, Premium Economy, and Economy Class. Lufthansa is the preferred airline for many travelers in Europe. The airline provides an easy option for reservations to the customers whenever they want. However, there are some unforeseen circumstances when the travel plans abruptly change and you might be forced to cancel your reservations. If you are faced with such circumstances then it’s important for you to know everything about the Lufthansa cancellation policy so that you may have a hassle-free booking experience.
What is Lufthansa cancellation policy?
The customers get plenty of perks and world-class air travel facilities when making Lufthansa flight reservations. However, when the customers need assistance with their travel plans such as canceling reservations due to some reasons then the airline promptly provides the much-needed help. Lufthansa provides its customers’ opportunity to cancel their reservation and also gives a full refund when it is canceled within 24 hours of the original booking on the same day before departure, and when the departure date is 7 days away.
The customers who have purchased a non-refundable ticket and want to cancel it then they are allowed to do so but won’t get any refunds. In fact, a non-refundable ticket is not eligible for any refund, and the airline will forfeit the total ticket fare upon cancellation. The customers holding refundable tickets are eligible for a refund. When canceling a refundable ticket the refund amount will be credited to the customer’s original mode of payment after deducting the cancellation fees and other charges.
If the flight is canceled by Lufthansa on its own then the customers will be provided compensation after receiving the request from the customers through email. The customers will be provided the compensation amount to their original mode of payment within 20 business days.
Lufthansa also provides the option to the customers to hold the tickets for 12 hours if they are not sure about their trip without paying any charges. The cancellation fees will also be waived off by the airline in case of the passenger’s health issue, death of relatives, military orders, government strikes, passport issues, etc.
The following are the major highlights about the cancellation policy of Lufthansa that will provide necessary help to the customers to void their bookings:
- The risk-free 24-hour cancellation policy allows the customers to get a full refund of their ticket value when it is canceled within 24 hours of the original booking on the same day of the scheduled departure, and the departure date must be at least 7 days away
- The customers will have to pay a cancellation fee of $200 when canceling their Lufthansa reservation after the expiry of risk-free 24-hour window
- The customers are allowed to cancel their reservation through both online and offline mode, including via Lufthansa’s official website, over the phone, and at the airline’s ticket counter at the airport
- The cancellation policy of the airline will be applicable on the restricted and non-restricted fare rules of the booked ticket
- The refund amount after cancellation will be credited to the customer’s original form of payment within 2-3 business days
- The unused portion of the ticket can be claimed by the customers to make the bookings of new flight within 365 days from the scheduled departure date
- The customers’ travel has been affected due to a sudden illness or the death of an immediate family member within 4 weeks from the travel date and the customer does not want to travel due to such reasons then they can claim a refund from the airline after providing a death certificate or other relevant documents for validation
- If the customers’ scheduled flight is canceled by Lufthansa on its own then the customers have the right to claim a full refund without paying any penalty charges. In some cases, the customers are also eligible for the canceled flight compensation
Lufthansa 24 hour cancellation policy
The customers can take advantage of the Lufthansa 24 hour cancellation policy to make savings by not losing the ticket value upon cancellation. Under the risk-free Lufthansa 24 hour cancellation the customers are allowed to cancel their reservations within 24 hours of the original booking on the same day, and on the condition that the date of departure is 7 days away. The customers are offered a full refund when utilizing the airline’s 24-hour cancellation policy. This beneficial policy is applicable for both refundable and non-refundable tickets and a full refund is provided to the holders of both fare types. The cancellation process is rather easy and can be done online, over the phone, or at the airport. If the cancellation is done after 24 hours then the customers will be required to pay a cancellation fee to secure the refund amount on their refundable tickets. The 24-hour cancellation policy is undoubtedly beneficial to those customers who aren’t sure about their trip and save the entire ticket value upon cancellation.
The important features of Lufthansa 24 hour cancellation are as follows:
- The customers who cancel their tickets within 24 hours of original purchase on the same day and only if the departure date is at least 7 days away are eligible for a full refund
- When the cancellation is done after 24 hours then the customers will have to pay a cancellation fee and other charges. The refund will also depend on the type of ticket purchased
- All fare types and the class of service booked are covered under Lufthansa 24 hour cancellation policy
- The tickets purchased with Miles & More points will not be eligible under the airline’s 24-hour cancellation policy
- The Lufthansa 24 hour cancellation policy will not apply to group reservation, and as such it will be subject to the group fare rules
Lufthansa cancellation fees
Lufthansa cancellation fee will apply to all the fare types as well as the class of services booked. The cancellation fee charged by the airline will be $200. The refundable tickets will be eligible for cancellation and a refund. The airline will credit the refund amount to the customer’s original payment method after deducting the cancellation fee and other charges. However, the non-refundable ticket will not be eligible for a cash refund but the remaining fare balance after the deduction of the cancellation fee will be converted into the travel credit to be used for a new Lufthansa flight booking within one year from the date of issuance.
What is Lufthansa refund policy?
The Lufthansa refund policy will be applicable to the unused portion of the ticket. According to the Lufthansa cancellation refund policy, the person in whose name the ticket was booked or the person who made the payment for the reservation will be eligible for getting a refund. If the flight is canceled by the airline or it fails to be operated within 2 weeks of the scheduled departure time then the customer will be provided a refund for the canceled flight. The remaining balance of the refund amount will be provided only after deducting the cancellation fee of $200. The refund will however not be provided by the airline if the request for the same is made more than six months after the booking validity has expired.
Lufthansa is a great airline to fly with because of its seamless booking experience. If you are facing any problems during cancellation then you are always welcome to call Lufthansa phone number and talk to dedicated Fond Travels Lufthansa booking agents. Your issues will be promptly addressed and all your travel-related needs will be taken care of very well.
LEAVE A REPLY
Your email address will not be published.