Guide to American Airlines Pet Policy
Friday, April 14, 2023
Everyone loves flying, but flying with your pet can be daunting. Mood swings, health, food and hours of traveling for your pet can be worrying. Each airline offers a different set of pet policies. We'll be looking into American Airlines pet policy and covering all the major details you need.
What is the pet policy for American Airlines?
- Under American Airlines reservations, passengers can only carry cats and dogs. As per the AA pet policy, you can carry a cat or dog by meeting the age and size requirements. On most flights, your pet can travel up to 12 hours.
- If you are carrying your pet along, ensure you book a flight for your pet much in advance to avoid last-minute hassles and easily fulfill all the travel requirements.
- American Airlines issues the number of pets allowed in the cabin for each flight. So, passengers can know that AA only permits up to seven kennels on its major flight routes.
- However, American only allows five kennels per flight and only one carrier in the first-class cabin for American Eagle flights.
- Lastly, AA considers a pet carrier as a carry-on item and if you are carrying a pet, you will only be allowed a personal item with your pet container. Other bags will be considered as checked along with the required fees.
To know more about the policy, call Fondtravels customer service for American Airlines at +1-(571)-389-6426 for hassle-free booking and journey.
American Airlines pet carrier requirements
Travelers carrying their pet must carry hard and soft-cased containers depending on which flight they are traveling—American Eagle or American Airlines.
Hard-cased containers should not be larger than 19 x 13 x 9 inches on main route flights and not larger than 12 x 8 inches on American Eagle flight routes. As per American Airlines pet policy, you must bring a soft-sided carrier that should not be larger than 18 x 11 x 11 inches on both flights.
American Airlines pet policies
American Airlines allows domestic pets to travel in the cargo hold of their planes, with certain restrictions and guidelines. The following are some of the key points of American Airlines' pet cargo policy:
- American Airlines dog policy states that only certain types of pets are allowed in the cargo hold, including dogs and cats. Other animals, such as birds, rabbits, and guinea pigs, may be allowed with special arrangements.
- The pet must be around 8 weeks old.
- Pets must have all required vaccinations and health certificates as specified by the destination state or country.
- Pets must be carried in a ventilated and spacious carrier.
- There are certain breed restrictions and temperature limitations for pets traveling in cargo.
- American Airlines flights charge a fee for pet transport, which varies based on the animal's size and the travel distance.
- Pet reservations must be made in advance and are subject to availability.
American Airlines also offers a pet travel program called ‘Pet in Cabin,’ which allows small dogs and cats to travel in the passenger cabin with their owners.
American Airlines pet policy fees
American Airlines allows passengers to travel with pets in the cabin or as checked baggage, depending on the size and weight of the pet. Here are the fees and policies:
American Airlines flying with pets:
- Only small cats and dogs weighing up to 20 pounds, including the carrier are allowed in the cabin.
- The fee for bringing a pet into the cabin is $125 per carrier each way.
- Only one pet per carrier is allowed and 7 pets per flight are limited.
Checked baggage pet policy:
- American Airlines allows pets to travel as checked baggage on select flights within the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Central America, Colombia and the Caribbean.
- The fee for bringing a pet as checked baggage is $200 per carrier each way.
- There is a limit of 2 pets per person per flight, and the pet and carrier must not exceed 100 pounds.
It is important to note that traveling in the cargo hold can be stressful for pets and involves some risk. Pet owners should carefully consider the needs and well-being of their animals before deciding to transport them in this way. You can call the phone number of Fondtravels American Airlines at +1-571-378-7016 for pet travel support and booking.
Also, read our blog - American Airlines Cancelation Policy
571-389-6426 OR, We will contact you within 24 hours.
Your email address will not be published.