Delta Airlines Pet Travel Policy
Monday, April 17, 2023
Pet owners need to know the guidelines of various airlines before booking their next flight. Will you be traveling with your pet on Delta Airlines? You should be aware of Delta Airlines pet policy. Whether you are flying for the first time with your furry buddy or you’ve flown before, we’ll be discussing Delta's pet travel policies, the need for pet carriers, costs and limitations on breeds. Additionally, we may advise how to make your pet's air travel as stress-free as possible.
About Delta Airlines
Founded in 1924, Delta Air Lines is one of the major American airlines headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia. Delta operates flights to over 325 destinations in more than 60 countries, including North America, South America, Europe, Asia, and Africa.
Delta has transported several animals, but your pet matters to you the most. If you and your pet will be flying together, you want to be sure they are safe and comfortable during the journey.
Advice for pet owners traveling on Delta
- The pet container should adjust beneath the seat in front.
- Whether you have a soft or hard-sided container, it should have ventilation and be leak-proof.
- Most carry-on pet container dimensions depend on your flight. Do not hesitate to contact Delta customer care at Fond Travels to know the appropriate container size.
- While at the Delta boarding place, your pet must remain within the container with fastened doorway while boarding and disembarking the flight.
- As per Delta pet travel rules, your pet container will be counted as one carry-on baggage, and you can carry one personal thing on board.
Pets in cargo as check-in
- You need a separate booking apart from the regular flight itinerary. Hopefully, added charges might apply.
- You cannot book a domestic pet flight through Delta Cargo till 14 days before departure.
- Remember to drop your pet off roughly three hours before departure. You can also take the help of Pet Pickers at the airport.
However, for further clarifications and easy booking, do not hesitate to call Fond Travels at +1-(571)-389-6426 to talk to one of our travel experts.
Fee for pet travel on Delta
According to Delta pet policy, the cost of pet transportation on Delta Airlines is $125 roundtrip. The cost for international flights is $200. Traveling with pets from Latin America costs $75 roundtrip. Height, weight, and carrier size are all factors that affect how much it will cost to ship a pet. Additionally, you can pay the pet travel fee using your Delta SkyMiles when booking.
Pet carrier size & dimensions
For pets in the cabin
- Depending on the type of aircraft, the size of the Delta pet carrier will vary. The size of the carrier must be confirmed via phone, or you may just buy a Delta-approved pet carrier at the airport. Also, according to Delta Airlines pet policy, your pet will not be permitted to travel alone if you cancel your ticket.
For pets in cargo
- Any size is good as long as pets are comfortable. However, you can select from the following dimensions: 27″ x 20″ x 19″ (68 cm x 50 cm x 48 cm); 32″ x 22″ x 23″ (81 cm x 55 cm x 58 cm); 36″ x 24″ x 26″ (91 cm x 61 cm x 66 cm); 40″ x 27″ x 30″ (101 cm x 68 cm x 76 cm); and 48″ x 32″ x 35″ (122 cm x 81 cm x 89 cm).
Preparing your pet for air travel
Air travel for your pet involves careful planning and preparation to ensure their safety, comfort, and well-being. Here are some tips to help you prepare your pet for air travel:
- First and foremost, check with the airline to ensure that they allow pets to travel in the cabin or cargo hold. Also, familiarize yourself with the airline's policies and procedures regarding pet travel.
- As per Delta Air Lines pet travel policy, select a spacious carrier to stand, turn around, and lie comfortably.
- Introduce your pet to the carrier well before the trip so that they can become comfortable with it. Place treats and toys inside the carrier to encourage your pet to enter it willingly.
- Take your pet to the vet for a health check-up and ensure they are up-to-date on all vaccinations and required documentation.
- If your pet is traveling in the cargo hold, withhold food for several hours before the flight, but make sure they have access to water. Pack food and water in leak-proof containers if your pet travels in the cabin.
- Please arrive at the airport early to allow plenty of time to check in your pet and ensure they are comfortable and relaxed before the flight.
Breed Restrictions on Delta Airlines
Delta does not allow brachycephalic breeds, including American Bulldog, American Pit Bull Terrier, Boxer, Bulldog, Chow Chow, Dutch Pug, English Bulldog, French Bulldog, Lhasa Apso, Japanese Boxer, Mastiff (all breeds), Pekinese, Pit Bull, Pug, Staffordshire Bull Terrier; and cats, such as Burmese, Exotic, Himalayan, and Persian.
Traveling with your pet need not be stressful if you are well-versed with the airline policies to make your pet's journey pleasant. Ensure carrying the required documents, health certificate, spacious container, water, etc., for your pet.
Reserving a pet on Delta with Fond Travels is easy. You can call our toll-free number at +1-(571)-389-6426 to talk to one of our travel experts for more clarification on Delta Air Lines pet policy and booking a flight for your four-legged friend.
Also, read our blog - Delta Airlines Flight Cancelation
571-389-6426 OR, We will contact you within 24 hours.
Your email address will not be published.