Turkish Airlines Unaccompanied Minor - Children Flying Alone Policy
Monday, March 01, 2021
Travel is integral to humankind. Whether old or young, everyone loves to visit distant places and enjoy good things in life. Have you ever thought what it would be like when your little child has to travel all alone? After all, who knows there might be some emergency situation when the young one has to travel for studies, meet his grandparents, or even visit dad or mom when living in a split family? These situations just can’t be avoided. You just might have to allow your child to travel on their own with a heavy heart and lots of concerns. There are many airlines that allow service for children traveling alone. However, when it comes to flying with Turkish Airlines the experience is simply remarkable and completely different. But before going into details of its offerings for this special category of passengers, let know about Turkish Airlines unaccompanied minor policy.
Who is eligible for being treated as an “Unaccompanied Minor” by Turkish Airlines?
Children aged between 2 years and under 12 years old are considered as child passengers by Turkish Airlines. Such children who have completed their 2nd birthday but have not yet entered their 12th birthday on the date of travel are allowed to fly with their parents (mother and father) or an adult passenger aged 18 years or older. The airline also allows the child passengers in this age group to travel as unaccompanied minors, without the company of a guardian or some adult passenger known to the child. However, Turkish Airlines children flying alone rules are somewhat different from other airlines too. The airline requires all unaccompanied minors who are of 2 years old but are yet to reach their 7th birthday to fly under the supervision of one of its cabin staff.
Turkish Airlines provides discounts for its child passengers on its flights and offers the same baggage allowance given to the adult passengers. Special meal requests can also be made for children at least 24 hours before departure when travelling on international flights.
What is Turkish Airlines minor flight booking process?
- As per the Turkish Airlines minor flight booking process, child passengers aged seven years and above but are yet to reach their 12th birthday at the time of travel are allowed to travel as unaccompanied minors.
- The airline, however, requires signed permission from the child's parent or legal guardian by filling out an unaccompanied minor form.
- In such cases, when the child travels alone, Turkish Airlines will provide an escort service.
- The reservations for minor service (for children between 2 years and up to 7 years old) and unaccompanied minor service (for children between 7 and 12 years old) must be made at least 48 hours in advance.
What are the major conditions to be fulfilled for unaccompanied minors traveling with a companion or seeking escort service?
If the child is unable to travel with a parent or legal guardian then a travel companion will be assigned by Turkish Airlines after full flight costs of the said travel companion is borne by the child’s parent. It will be the responsibility of the assigned in-flight companion along with the airline’s ground staff that the child has a safe journey. The in-flight companion will also be taking care of the child’s needs during the entire duration of the trip, and will be finally releasing the child to a designated person as listed in the Authorization Form at the arrival destination.
When seeking an escort service or a travel companion, the parent or legal guardian of the child must place a request for the same at least 48 hours before the flight’s scheduled departure. According to Turkish Airlines’ unaccompanied minor rules, the person bringing the child for drop off at the airport and handing him/her over to the airline’s staff must be the parent or legal guardian of the child. They are also required to carry a notarized document compulsorily indicating that they have the required authority to hand over the child to a representative of Turkish Airlines. It is also the responsibility of the child’s parent, first degree relative or guardian to clearly indicate the language spoken by the unaccompanied minor for easy communication, and proper care and supervision.
It may be noted that the companion flight attendant will accept the child to be flown on the aircraft only when the unaccompanied minor’s parents or a legal representative fills up and signs the ‘Authorization Certificate for the Accompanied Child Transportation’. This signed document is essential for the child’s acceptance as well as release at the destination airport.
Before the flight's scheduled departure, you can Call the Turkish Airlines phone number to make a quick reservation and finish the necessary procedure for your child travelling alone.
What are the important requirements to be fulfilled for children travelling alone without a guardian?
Turkish Airlines allows children aged 7 and above who have not completed their 12th birthday at the time of travel are allowed to board flights as unaccompanied minors without a guardian or travel companion. For unaccompanied minors the procedures to be followed are hereunder:
- It should be ensured that the unaccompanied minor travelling without a guardian must arrive at the airport at least 2 hours before the scheduled departure of flight. The airline gives priority to child passengers who are travelling as unaccompanied minors
- The child passengers aged between 7 years and 12 years old are allowed to board both domestic and direct international flights as unaccompanied minors if they are not travelling in the company of a first degree relative or guardian. Turkish Airlines however allows all child passengers of 7-12 years of age to board domestic flights and international flights with connections if they are travelling in the company of a parent, first degree relative or guardian
- Turkish Airlines offers a dedicated special counter for unaccompanied minors at Istanbul Airport for check-in. The parent, first degree relative or guardian of the child will be asked by the airline’s staff at the airport to sign the necessary documentation during the check-in process. You need to sign the document in order to have your child travel as an unaccompanied minor. You will also be provided the necessary information about the procedure by the airline’s staff
- After the check-in and other official processes are completed, a representative of Turkish Airlines will escort the unaccompanied minor on to the aircraft. The parent, first degree relative or guardian coming to drop off the child must stay at the airport till the time when the flight has taken off and is airborne. The unaccompanied minor will be allocated seats closest to the senior cabin steward for convenience, supervision and necessary help on board the aircraft
- After arriving at the destination the cabin crew will hand over the unaccompanied minor to a Turkish Airlines’ staff waiting at the airport, who will then release the child to the designated person named in the Authorization Form after the completion of customs and baggage procedures. The authorized person named by the child’s parent coming for pick-up must sign a note of confirmation before getting the child released
Call FondTravels at +1 (571) 389-6426 for prompt assistance in scheduling a child's flight and for any other travel-related questions.
All child passengers aged between 12 years and 18 years old are permitted to board Turkish Airlines flights alone. They will however be allowed to board the flight only when they have the HES code just like the airline’s other adult passengers. The HES code can be procured via e-Devlet.
Also, read our blog Qatar Airways Unaccompanied Minor Policy.
571-389-6426 OR, We will contact you within 24 hours.
Your email address will not be published.